Membership Benefit List & Application Form
IAJ offers programs and services that benefit members at all stages of their careers. This list gives an overview of some of the services offered by your Association. Go back to our Member Resources page for more information about member benefits and IAJ member service partners that offer you significant discounts on office supplies and legal services.
- LIST SERVES! LIST SERVES! LIST SERVES! Network with hundreds of other IAJ members on the IAJ Forum, Criminal Law, Workers’ Compensation and Family Law List Serves. Want to save yourself hours of research time? Need a piece of information that some other IAJ member probably has at his/her fingertips? Just post your query on an IAJ List Serve and you will get answers in minutes.
- CRIMINAL DEFENSE TRIAL LAWYERS/WORKERS’ COMPENSATION SECTIONS. Section membership helps you keep up with the greatest and latest legal theory, litigation strategies and trial advocacy techniques in these practice areas. Want to get more deeply involved? Run for our Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer Core Group or Workers’ Compensation Section Core Group and work with your colleagues develop new strategies, techniques and theories to advance the practice of law in these areas.
- CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION. As a member you can attend Iowa’s finest legal seminars at greatly reduced rates.
- LEGISLATIVE REPRESENTATION AND POLITICAL ACTION. IAJ is at the Statehouse everyday during the legislative session working to preserve and improve our justice system and to protect your clients’ constitutional rights. IAJ’s Justice For All Political Action Committee (PAC) distributes members’ contributions to candidates who believe in preserving your clients’ right to seek justice before a jury of their peers. Want to get more deeply involved? Join our Legislative Committee or get yourself elected to the PAC Board of Trustees.
- AMICUS BRIEF COMMITTEE. IAJ’s Amicus Brief Committee provides support for members who have significant cases with precedent-setting potential. Members of the committee include experts in almost every area of trial practice and they know how to write briefs that make appellate court judges sit up and take notice!
- CASE WORKSHOPS. Do you have a particularly nettlesome or vexing case with a lot riding on it? Contact the IAJ office and we will find an IAJ member with extensive experience in the area who can “workshop” the case with you –– member-to-member –– at no charge.
- CLE SEMINAR BOOKS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS. Complete your library. As a member you can purchase seminar books from past seminar programs at greatly reduced prices. Members can also purchase original legal texts like Iowa Pleadings, Causes of Action and Defenses at significant discounts. Coming soon: Expedited Civil Actions | Rules for Discovery by IAJ Board Member Jamie Cook.
- PUBLIC AFFAIRS REPRESENTATION. IAJ and its public affairs partner, the Iowa Foundation for Justice, are working hard to improve the image of Iowa lawyers and to educate the media and public as to the important role our justice system plays in preserving our American democracy. Members are encouraged to call us when you’d like our help in setting the record straight about your case or in communicating your client’s story to the news media.
- CONFERENCE ROOM. IAJ’s conference rooms can be reserved free-of-charge for members’ use in taking depositions or meeting with clients while in Des Moines.