The Iowa Association for Justice (IAJ) educates and empowers attorneys who fight for justice in our courthouses and communities, and defends the legal rights of Iowans who seek justice in our courts. IAJ serves the legal profession and the public through its efforts to preserve and strengthen our justice systems, to promote injury prevention, and to foster the disclosure of information critical to the health, safety and financial well-being of all Iowa families.
The Association was established in 1973, in pursuit of the following objectives…
- To uphold and defend the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Iowa;
- To advance the science of jurisprudence;
- To train attorneys in all fields and phases of trial advocacy;
- To promote the administration of justice for the public good;
- To uphold the honor and dignity of the profession of law;
- To advance the cause of those who are damaged in person or property and who must seek redress therefore;
- To encourage friendship among members of the bar; and
- To uphold and improve the adversary system and the right of trial by jury.
During each session of the Iowa General Assembly, IAJ works to defend our justice systems and to extend the reach of justice in Iowa, as follows…
- IAJ vigorously opposes legislation that would immunize wrongdoers or limit their liability.
- IAJ works aggressively to extend rights to Iowans who are denied appropriate access to our justice systems.
- IAJ also works to remove litigation barriers and obstacles that unduly burden Iowans who are pursuing justice in our courts.
Throughout the year, IAJ provides top-flight continuing legal education programs for Iowa attorneys. The Association’s annual seminars on automobile collisions, criminal law, family law, personal injuries, professional responsibility and workers’ compensation attract hundreds of attorneys each year. In November, hundreds more attend the IAJ Annual Convention, which is solidly established as the premier trial practice seminar for Iowa trial lawyers.
IAJ also networks Iowa trial lawyers and helps them deepen relations with their peers, while learning from one another. Hundreds of members interact on-line via the Association’s electronic exchanges, where/whence they share information, impart expertise and swap practice pointers. IAJ members also bond together and mentor one another during myriad association events over the course of each year.
IAJ serves as a springboard for professional development and career advancement, so that aspiring members are able to reach the pinnacles of the legal profession. IAJ members are also leaders in their communities and surpassing numbers of them are/have been heavily involved in public service at every level. They serve on numerous boards and commissions and many of them hold elected and appointed positions at all levels of government, from school board to city council, from the statehouse to Congress –– and the Cabinet too –– and throughout our judiciary as well. Below are just a few examples of IAJ alumni (past presidents one and all) who have been called to public service one way or another.
Tom Vilsack, Past President (1986-87)
Former Iowa Governor, 1999-2007
Current U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, 2009-2017
David Wiggins, Past President (1985-86)
Current Iowa Supreme Court Justice, 2005-present
Daryl Hecht, Past President (1993-94)
Current Iowa Supreme Court Justice, 2006-present
Bruce Braley, Past President (2002-03)
Former U.S. Representative, 2007-2015
Started in 2008, the Iowa Association for Justice's (IAJ) Justice In Deed initiative links Iowa attorneys with community organizations across Iowa to help meet critical needs. IAJ’s Justice In Deed projects include:
- Nov 2016 – DMARC Food Drive, Des Moines ($6,800)
- Sept 2016 – United Action for Youth, Iowa City
- Sept 2016 – On With Life Service Day, Ankeny
- Aug 2016 – Habitat for Humanity Service Day, Des Moines
- May 2016 – Iowa Center for Public Affairs Journalism
- Mar 2016 – Family Caregivers Center of Mercy, Iowa City
- Feb 2016 – Make-A-Wish Iowa
- Nov 2015 – Youth Emergency Services & Shelters, Des Moines
- Sept 2015 – Youth Emergency Services & Shelters, Des Moines
- Sept 2015 – Camp High Hopes Service Day, Sioux City
- Apr 2015 – New Tennis Shoes, Iowa City Elementary
- Feb 2015 – School Supplies, Des Moines Elementary
- Yearlong 2014 – Puppy Jake Service Dog for On With Life ($12,000)
- Sept 2014 – Northeast Iowa Food Bank, Waterloo
- Nov 2013 – Puppy Jake Foundation ($5,000)
- Oct 2013 – On With Life Service Day, Ankeny
- Sept 2013 – End Distracted Driving
- Sept 2013 – Pups On Parole, Newton
- Aug 2013 – Bike Helmets for Kids, Safe Cycling Initiative
- Apr 2013 – YMCA Camp Scholarships
- Feb 2013 – United Way Backpack Buddies, Mason City
- Nov 2012 – Warm Winter Clothing, Des Moines Elementary
- Sept 2012 – Tom Staack Memorial Golf Tournament for Cedar Valley SportsPlex ($13,750)
- Sept 2012 – Iowa City Free Medical Clinic
- Aug 2012 – Blank Children’s Hospital, Des Moines
- Jun 2012 - Byard Braley Scholarship for Injured Workers
- Mar 2012 – Siouxland Community Health Center
- Sept 2011 – School Supplies, Iowa City Elementary
- Aug 2011 – Byard Braley Scholarship for Injured Workers
- Jun 2011 – Habitat for Humanity Service Day, Des Moines
- Jun 2011 – Habitat for Humanity, Des Moines
- Apr 2011 – Tornado Cleanup Supplies, Mapleton
- Feb 2011 - Byard Braley Scholarship for Injured Workers
- Nov 2010 – Warm Winter Clothing, Des Moines Elementary
- Sept 2010 – School Supplies, Cedar Rapids Elementary
- Aug 2010 – Habitat for Humanity Service Day, Des Moines
- May 2010 – New Tennis Shoes, Iowa City Elementary
- Feb 2010 – Warm Winter Clothing, Des Moines Elementary
- Nov 2009 – On With Life
- Sept 2009 – Flood Cleanup Service Day, Cedar Rapids
- Apr 2009 – DMARC Food Drive, Des Moines
IAJ is a full-service organization for Iowa’s trial lawyers, with a public interest mission that benefits all Iowans! For more information about association programs and services contact info@IowaJustice.org.